Monday, July 23, 2007

Engagement Mithais

I have never clearly understood the reasons for distributing sweets , whenever a person gets tied in Conjugal bliss or the ceremony preceding that. I got engaged this month itself and my office staff was bending over themselves to congratulate me. Fine enough , I thought --though what exactly made them so enthusiastic was still to come. So! exclaimed my Boss where is the Mithai ----. Implying and later accusing how I had conveniently forgotten this sacrosanct regimen of distributing sweets. Finally bowing to peer presssure , I bowed down and distributed sweets.

This curious phenomenon of sweets is not really explained by the rich tradition of Indian mythology and story telling combined. Now-- agreed the person undergoing the ceremony is expected to be reasonably happy. Though whether this translates to making everybody happy around you is reasonably suspicious, anyway I went ahead and did the usual routine of making people happy by distributing Mithai-- that great Indian conduit transferring happiness to mankind.

2 comments:

grv said...

i feel the married people are happy to c one more bakra in the pipeline while others feel happy bcos they ought to on this occasion.!!!

to isi baaat par mithai ho jaaye!!

Shwet Awasthi said...

Hey Happy !

Thanks for reading the Blog and commenting. How is Chandigarh treating you by the way.